| (I grabbed this pic off of my buddy Mikelle's blog. Thanks Mik) |
It's here...Hunting Season! Or like I like to think of it....Hunting Season/Scrapbook & Crafting Season! Brock participates in most of the hunts here so hunting starts the first part of September until the end of November at our house.
Brock has been nonstop with hunting since it started. He has been doing "two a days" for 4-5 days a week! He gets up early before work and then hits the mountain after work until dark. Needless to say I can totally wear the "hunting widow" label. Surprisingly enough, I don't mind it. I enjoy the time to myself to work on projects, clean, watch chick flicks and spend time with my friends. Maybe it would be different if we had kids to take care of but we don't so I am glad he gets this time to do what he loves.
This year Brock decided to chase elk instead of deer during the archery. With a lot of early mornings, late nights and scouting, he finally got his first bull. He went out with our friend Johnny B. who helped call in his bull. Brock said that everything went perfectly and that getting his bull with his bow was a total adrenaline rush. Brock got his bull at 15 feet broadside in the lung, which makes me happy because I know he died fast. It was starting to get dark so Brock and John quartered the bull and went back up the next day to retrieve the meat.
Brock butchered it in our garage and packaged the meat himself which saved us a lot of money. I'm not in love with the idea of having a dead thing in my garage or raw meat everywhere but I've trained Brock to keep things sanitized to keep me happy. He did an excellent job keeping things clean and Cloroxed! We have a FULL freezer of meat and he still wants to get a deer, who knows where we will put that?
I'm not really in love with hunting but I know the meat is cleaner, better and cheaper for us than most store bought meats, so I'm happy for Brock. Yay for Brock!
WARNING: DEAD PICS BELOW
Brock likes to do his own European Mounts and this time the
whole neighborhood got to participate. Yeah...that's a turkey cooker that Brock
is boiling the head in ...in our FRONT YARD! I was so embarrassed but then I
realized that we live on a street full of elk hunters so they probably weren't
judging. Seriously... how much more redneck can you get? We are totally there!




1 comment:
Bahaha love the elk head in the front yard. Congrats on the bull Brock! And good for you kim for enjoying this season too (I have learned to embrace the quiet time that comes with hunting season as well.)
Post a Comment